She is all dressed up now. Many hours have been spent primping and prepping. A little rough at first but with time, love and attention, her latent inner beauty is ready to be revealed. Smooth and silky, she has a depth and a glow that is hard to capture. So without any more words and lots of pictures, here she is:
From a technical and aesthetic standpoint I am pleased with the results. I learned a huge amount, stretched my skills and I am inspired to try another piece. There are many flaws…er,…human elements present in the execution but that is okay. But all that really matters is that I got a big hug from Hannah and a “thank you, Daddy!!”. I am blessed.
I want to thank all of you who have followed this long project, offered advice and encouragement along the way, and saw it through to the end. I hope that I was able to help you with design and construction techniques or even just inspiration for you to dive into your own project. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Just for fun, here is the original drawing I gave to Hannah 3 years ago. A few details and proportions were changed along the way but overall it looks pretty close. If you want to go back and read the whole story there is a directory that lists all the posts related to the Hope Chest project.